Friday, April 3, 2009

Pepitas!

As I mentioned earlier, nuts and seeds must be properly prepared so that you will benefit from their nutrients -- and experience the best flavor as well! I just recently learned about this, and decided to finally try it this week as we enjoy nuts and seeds on a regular basis at our house. Hugo picked up a container of organic raw shelled pepitas (pumpkin seeds) at Whole Foods the other day, and two days ago I put them on for a long soak (2 cups pepitas, 2 cups warm water, 1 tbsp. sea salt). I drained them in a colander today and then dried them out at about 150 degrees for many hours -- at least 10 I think (the time is not that important, they just have to be completely dry and crisp).
I was delighted to find they taste quite delicious -- much better than raw! We will enjoy them on salads, in baked goods, and straight from the container. When stored in a cool dark place they will last a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment