Friday, April 24, 2009

Curried chickpeas

The other day I was planning to make a tabouli-style salad, only with kasha instead of bulgur wheat...but once I chopped the red onion, green pepper, and tomato I decided it would be much lovelier to saute them with the (soaked & cooked) chickpeas and some olive oil and spices. Well, it came out delicious! I used about a cup of chickpeas (soaked 2 days with 2 tbsp. whey and plenty of filtered water, then cooked in the crockpot for a full day until tender), and sauteed them with the veggies and lots of muchi curry, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, and dried ginger. The kasha (a.k.a. toasted buckwheat -- which you should NOT soak, by the way, unlike all other whole grains) was cooked with broth I saved from the pot roast I made last week, plus a little sea salt. The kasha and chickpea dish go together pretty well...cous cous or basmati rice would probably be better, though. This makes a good hot or cool dish.

1 comment:

  1. Your faithful readers want a new post on your daily happenings! Chickpeas are interesting, but I am curious to read about something new ;)

    ReplyDelete