Monday, March 30, 2009

Time for Monday breakfast!

I've done a few hours of work (starting at 6:30 today), and now Oliver is awake and fed, so it's time for my daily oatmeal. This has been soaking all night to neutralize the phytic acid in the oats; phytic acid is found in all whole grains and will actually pull nutrients out of your body, which is why soaking is a wise practice. Here's how I do it:
  • put one cup Scottish oatmeal in a bowl (this is enough for 3 breakfasts)
  • add 2 tbsp. whey (you can also use yogurt, vinegar, or lemon juice)
  • mix in 1 cup warm-ish water
  • cover with plastic wrap and let sit at least 12 hours or overnight

In the morning it cooks quickly, tastes delicious, and provides a wonderful array of easily-absorbed nutrients! Best of all, it also gives you lots of energy. I have a fast metabolism so I usually need to eat often (and have a tendency to hypoglycemia), but oatmeal sticks with me at least 4 hours and I feel great that whole time. I cook my oatmeal with plenty of raw butter, raw milk (or water), and usually raw honey, organic shredded coconut (unsweetened), some golden ground flaxseed, and sometimes walnuts. I like to serve it with additional butter and raw yogurt, or lots of raw milk. This is especially great for breastfeeding, as it provides lots of nutrition in the form of complex carbs, excellent fats, and plenty of protein and fiber!



No comments:

Post a Comment