Friday, April 16, 2010

Winter squash "pancakes"


Tonight Ollie and I were starving after getting back from doing errands with our new friend Esther (a great neighbor, fellow Raindance devotee, and brilliant illustrator). I decided to try some GAPS diet pancakes: a few very large spoonfuls of cooked acorn squash, 2 eggs, a pinch of sea salt, and a few shakes of the bag of almond flour. Kept adding more almond flour to make a soft consistency that would hold its shape in the pan. Cook in LOTS of melted bacon fat, lard, ghee, or coconut oil (we did the bacon fat tonight as I am saving my dwindling supply of lard for pork rillettes -- can't wait to have a chance to make them!). I served the cakes with melted ghee (clarified butter) and a sprinkling of sea salt. Oliver was SO excited, poor little guy -- he's hardly seen a carb all week. Now he is sleeping like the proverbial baby...but I fear this was a bit of an overdose, and a little more fiber than he was ready for at this point. They WERE yummy, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment