Thursday, May 21, 2009

Orangina that's good for you!

A few weeks ago I shared my experiences making lacto-fermented cucumbers for the first time. I will be experimenting with more veggies in the near future (as well as beans, then fruit when it's in season), but first I wanted to share about my first experience crafting my own lacto-fermented version of orangina at home. It's really quite easy--juicing the oranges is the hardest part!

You will need:
  • a quart-size glass jar with lid that screws on tightly
  • the juice of 6-8 oranges
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt (use Celtic sea salt, or a similar high-quality unprocessed sea salt)
  • 2 tbsp. whey
  • 1/4 tsp. orange extract (OPTIONAL I didn't use it; if you go for this be absolutely sure you've got orange extract, not orange flavoring)
  • filtered water
Simply combine all ingredients in the jar, add filtered water to fill it most of the way (leave at least an inch of space at the top), stir well, then screw the lid on tightly. Leave the jar at room temperature for 2 full days before transferring to the refrigerator. This drink is refreshing and fizzy, but barely sweet so don't expect the sugary Orangina flavor. It is delicious, though, and will still be a pretty orange color when finished. It lasts very well, but you will drink it all up before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment