Saturday, April 30, 2011

Easy healthy(er) OJ

Thanks to the comment quite a while back from a reader, I recently decided to try fermenting my own fruit juice. I don't like straight fruit juices as they are incredibly sweet and give me a blood sugar spike, but lately I have been wanting some new beverages to switch things up a little.

So I bought a big bag of juicing oranges and used my little electric juicer to squeeze out a couple cups of fresh juice. Then combined this with a few pinches of unrefined sea salt, and a generous amount of raw milk whey (about 1/2-3/4 cup for a little over 2 cups of juice).


Shake it up in a mason jar and let it sit on the counter for a few days until fizzy and soured to your liking. I think this makes a great non-alcoholic mimosa to enjoy with a weekend brunch at home--or any time you like! Treat yourself to a little at a time from a special glass, and enjoy the health benefits of fermented juice without overloading on sugar. This can also be diluted to taste.


A few notes: if using citrus, try to get organic since there are some particularly toxic pesticides used on conventional citrus. And of course be sure to wash the fruit well before cutting or juicing it.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment