Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cashew bread, I love you!


Last Saturday was quite thrilling.

I ate BREAD!

Gluten-free, grain-free, starch-free bread...but still the most bread-like thing I have eaten in a VERY long time. I'm still loving all the benefits of my regular-bread-free life (like clear skin and a stronger immune system), so no regrets there, but I've missed a few things...like poached eggs on toast, and grilled cheese!


 But on Saturday I had BOTH, thanks to this cashew bread recipe from Comfy Belly.


Ollie was super excited about the "bread," too! He had his slice with lots of raw butter and raw honey.


I followed the recipe exactly, except I left out the apple juice (which was optional anyway), and used raw creme fraiche (homemade) in place of yogurt. My Cuisinart food processor made lovely flour out of the soaked and dehydrated cashews, which I always buy from Wilderness Family Naturals. I also used my tiny metal loaf pans, lined with parchment paper, rather than full-size pans. Tonight I made a double batch and have grass-fed goat cheese ready and waiting to go on top!

I should mention that even the tiny loaves took an incredibly long time to cook in my oven at 300 degrees, somewhere around 2 hours I believe. I have found that when baking with nut flours the cooking time can be extremely long in order to get the inside done. A steak knife or paring knife is my instrument of choice for testing the bread for doneness. You can easily see any wetness on the knife's blade.

Sunday update: this is what Oliver and I had for breakfast today as a treat. (Yes, that is cashew bread under all that egg and bacon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment